Austin, TX Moving Services
Moving can be expensive. However, the expense can be reduced with some, smart, money-saving tips. In this article, we’ll give you tips to help you save money when moving. Why? Because we care.
- Prepare your budget. Put together all the moving expenses, including the expenses for your mover, into a budget spreadsheet. Knowing how much you’ll have to spend during the move will help you prepare and save. If you don’t save, you’ll know where you spent the most money over-budget so you’ll be prepared the next time.
- Do your homework. Research moving companies. Find one, like us, that are reputable and has no hidden costs or fees. Get a contract with a quoted amount for the move. Realize there may be some changes due to gas mileage or hours actually spent doing the move, but you can put this amount into your budget. Don’t necessarily go with the cheapest moving company. Sometimes, companies quote low and tack on charges afterwards. At Big Easy’s we never do that. Just check out our Moving Prices page. What you see is what you get … and pay for.
- Don’t pay for boxes. You can use Craigslist, check your grocery store, your local hospital and other laboratories and even restaurants – potato boxes are very sturdy – all have boxes on the cheap and you can use them to make the move cheaply and easily.
- Purge your items. If you don’t have so much stuff to move, it’ll be cheaper in the end. You can even try to make some money off of the items you don’t want any more by holding a garage sale. Remember – if you haven’t used it in six months, you probably won’t use it.
- Keep a paper trail. You should keep a receipt of all moving expenses. Your move, if it meets certain criteria, can qualify for deductions on your federal income taxes. Publication 521 deals with moving expenses. If you have more questions, you can always contact the IRS at 800-829-3676.
- Send books via the post office. If you have a lot of books to ship, you may want to send them via the US Postal Service instead of your mover. Media rate is cheap, but it also takes a long time to get your books to their final destination.
- Move during an off time. Why not move on Wednesday in the middle of the month? If you’re able to, you can save some money. Peak move times are at the beginning and end of the month and on weekends. If you can plan your move between October and May, then you can also save money on the move.
There are certainly other tips that can help you move more cheaply, and we’ll investigate some of those in future articles, so be sure to follow our Twitter feed, and Like us on Facebook! If you have any great tips for moving on the cheap, share your story with us on Facebook. We’d love to hear from you.